oncontextmenu="returnfalse;" expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The Liebster Award!


I was awarded the Liebster Award by Erin! It is more like a "get to know you" tag, but it sounds fun so I'm going to play along! The rules are that you tell 11 facts about yourself, answer the questions from the person who has awarded you, and then award others to play along too!

Let's get started!

1. I have three siblings. An older brother, Will, who is 27 and two younger sisters, Anna, who is 14 and Faith, who is 13. My sisters are technically "half sisters" but I've never considered them that 'cause I love them a whole lot ;)


2. I have been on 8 cruises and I am an Emerald member of Royal Caribbean's Crown and Anchor Society. I LOVE cruises!!! I've been able to experience so many different islands, and traveling there on a cruise ship is just so much fun!


3. While I've been all over the Caribbean (and up and down the east coast), I have never been any farther west, in the U.S., than Tennessee. I'd love to get out west to California sometime.

4. I started off college at East Carolina University. Both of my parents went there and my dad played football there so I grew up traveling to Greenville and going to football games! However, it was not the place for me so I transferred to Appalachian my sophomore year of college. I'm still a huge Pirate football fan though :)


5. I have been a nanny for the past 5 summers and have been with S & E for the past 3 years. Because of school, I kept the girls every day in the summer (and then worked at a child development center during the school year). I LOVE this job and could not have had a more perfect job during college. These girls will always have my heart & I still consider myself their nanny even though I have graduate school this summer.


6. After taking courses in Audiology and Management of Hearing Disorders, I realized how interested I am in hearing and how hearing affects speech. It was then that I began to research types of therapy used with children who have hearing loss and I fell in love. I would LOVE to work on speech with children who have hearing loss and have just received amplification. I can't wait to find out where I will be placed for my internship next spring.

7. If you can't tell from from college job choice and the fact that I already listed what I wanted to do for a career above, I'm SO ready to be in the next phase of life. I do not want kids right away but I want to have my career, live in the same place as my love!!, and make my own money to be able to support myself and travel. I know you aren't supposed to wish any part of life away and I'm thankful for these extra years with friends in graduate school but I'm also anxiously awaiting the next chapter. This is probably why I love reading "mom blogs" so much! hah

8. I played just about every sport growing up and loved each one I tried. I ended high school with swimming year round (not too competitively though) and being a part of a summer swim team. I loved the fact that it was just me and the water and the only person I had to "beat" was myself. I've also always loved swimming so it was the perfect sport for me.


9. I am a planner. I thrive on check lists and I always have a mental schedule in my head for whatever I'm doing; homework, laundry, therapy sessions, etc. Whatever it is, I have planned a specific way I'm going to do it before it happens. Because Andy and I will graduate at the same time and we will both be finding jobs (his with a much smaller "radius" of employment opportunities) at the same time, we are left not having A CLUE where we'll end up after graduation. To say this bothers me is an understatement. I can't believe that I don't know where I'll be in a little over a years time. But I just need to trust God to guide us to the right place and again, enjoy where I'm at now!

10. I was a part of a Christian sorority, Sigma Alpha Omega, in undergrad and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made! It was amazing to have sisters in Christ to fellowship with and to pray for one another throughout college. I made lifelong friends and have some wonderful memories with these girls.


11. I'm not much of a TV watcher. I will have the TV on at night while I do other things but I barely ever intently watch TV unless… The Bachelor is on. That is the one show that I will drop everything I'm doing and watch. It is truly my guilty pleasure and I have no shame in admitting that. I even got to meet Chris Harrison two years ago and it made my life ha ha


 Now for Erin's questions!

Dogs or cats?
Most definitely dogs!! I am allergic to dogs & cats but more severely to cats. I also just think dogs are more fun and lovable :) Give me a sweet, hypoallergenic dog and I'm one happy girl!

my dog Chapman

What is on the top of your bucket list?
Ok, I feel really weird saying this but I don't wish for anything crazy that seems "bucket list worthy." I want to be able to get married, have kids, and travel as much as possible but none of that seems like a bucket list. I'm not looking to go skydiving or climb Mt. Everest ha ha

What are your three favorite books?
I LOVE all of Emily Giffin's books. I love to read light-hearted romantic/comedic books and her books are on point for me. So I would say Something Blue, Something Borrowed, and Love the One Your With. I'm excited for her new book coming out in June!

What do you like most about yourself?
I like my ability to always see the good in someone before the bad. I am very trusting and will never think of someone badly unless they intentionally do something wrong/mean to me. Even then I try my best to come up with reasons to still like them/forgive them. 

If you could interview anyone past or present, who and why?
Hmm… This goes WAY back but I'd love to be able to interview anyone in the Bible who was able to meet Jesus on this earth. Of course I can read about it, but how neat would it be to talk to someone who had seen and talked to Jesus when he was on earth? 

What is your favorite childhood memory?
Oh goodness there are way too many to choose from! I was blessed with a wonderful childhood and I have great memories with all the people I love. One would be spending weeks at the beach with my Nana and Papa. We would get up early, pack a cooler, ride the golf cart down to the beach, and stay all. day. long. I'm talking until the sun started setting. I loved when my Nana let me drive the golf cart, building sand castles, and staying on a boogie board in the ocean for hours. 

Yoga or zumba?
Zumba! Funny story… I've always been told I should do yoga for my anxiety. I used to be really flexible and so I tried it with my roommates at the beginning of this year. We foolishly took an hour and half long class and it just about killed us. It wasn't too bad while we were doing it but we were definitely sore for days. I love dancing and have taken several fun zumba classes!

What is your favorite meal?
Another hard decision! It's no secret I love food. I love going out to eat, trying new foods, and baking. One of my favorite meals is when my stepdad, Phil, grills chicken and tosses it on top of Alfredo pasta with peas. Yum yum!

What do you wish to accomplish in the next year?
Since I have a little more than a year to graduate, I'd say just learning the most I can during graduate school and continue improving my clinical skills along the way. I'd also love to accomplish getting in shape and I have started working on that lately!

Favorite piece of clothing?
Dresses! If it was appropriate to wear a summer dress every day of the year I would. I think they are so comfy but also cute!

Favorite sport, to play or watch?
I mentioned my favorite sport to "play" above and my favorite sport to watch is definitely college football. I love going to college football games and watching my favorite teams on TV is just as fun!

Ok!! Now if you've read this far, I think you should go check out Erin's blog! She is a sweet family friend and is so funny! Her little girl is precious too :) Now I'm going to tag some people to play along!!

Mindy @ Saved by Grace
Ashley @ Pumpkin Butter

Your questions are:

What's your favorite thing to do after getting home from class/work/a long day?
The pool or the beach?
If you could travel somewhere right now, where would you go?
What do you consider your best memory from the last year?
Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
City or the country?
What was your biggest accomplishment in elementary school?
What do you like most about yourself?
Go out or stay in?
What are your go-to make up products? 

If you have any questions for me or want to play along just let me know! This was time consuming but a fun little activity for the night before *hopefully* a snow day! :)

2 comments:

  1. Karen, what an awesome career choice!! I bet that is so rewarding! And I love your picture of Chapman, he is such a cutie!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I am loving clinicals so far :) and you can totally tell he was begging for something in that picture ;)

      Delete