oncontextmenu="returnfalse;" expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Real Deal

So tonight I'm definitely writing with a 'heart on my sleeve' kind of attitude, but I figured I needed to introduce my boyfriend Andy sometime and why not now when I feel like talking about long distance relationships?
We have been dating since September of 2006 added to 11 months before that of "liking each other but not wanting to date yet." The story of how we met could be a whole other post, but long story short, we have always been long distance. When we got to the age to start dating (2006) we liked each other enough to try it and well it ended up working out so were still together almost 5 years later!
Many of my friends consider me a LD expert and several came to me when it was time to go to college and their boyfriends would be going to a different school. I loved giving advice to them and was glad I'd have some people who now knew how I felt. However, I soon realized that having a boyfriend/girlfriend at just a different school than you is completely different. I quickly figured this out when my friends would get excited to go home for christmas break or summer break and get to spend the entire time with their loved one. Thats where we differ. I go home and I am still not with him. We are actually farther apart when were both at home.

I get "I don't know how you do it" alot and honestly I don't know how I do
most of the time. ha! It is very hard at times but it is the price we have to pay for each other. However, one thing we hear sometimes though that is not something you want to say to us is "but you're used to it." A lot of people said this when they were experiencing leaving their bf/gf for college for the first time. But I could have screamed that "noo that just makes it harder!" The fact that we've "always been long distance" makes it actually ache worse.
We have had to miss several birthdays and anniversaries. We never get to spend holidays together. And miss just the simple things we never get to do like calling each other up to come over for a while or be there when the others sick. I'm not trying to write a sob story here, I'm just missing him a lot lately because of seeing my friends "go home" to their boyfriends. And in the fall when some "go back" to them at school.
I don't regret a thing though. As hard as it is, it is worth it because hes my sweetheart. It sounds cheesy but we've both prayed a lot about our relationship and if we're doing the right thing. Caz who would want to date someone lost distance for this long and it not be right!? We have never had a sign that it wasn't so I guess we're doing good ;) I can honestly say though that I dream every day about when we will FINALLY be in the same place. It is good to know that, God willing, each day is a day closer to when we will be together and that keeps me strong!
With all that said, I know that any type of LD relationship is hard. Anytime you are away from your loved one it takes a lot of strength!! I also have SO much respect for military wives and their families. They've gotta be some of the strongest women out there!
As for tonight, I'm missing my man and counting down the days till June 16th when I can see him again. God Bless,
Karen

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your comment on my blog. I tried to reply, but you didn't have an email connected to your account.
    I hope that by sharing our story that I can educate and inform other parents and health care professionals (and future ones! ;) ) We certainly have no reason to hide what's going on :) and we feel blessed to be on the right track to treatment! I think it's so unfortunate when parents ignore signs of problems their kids might have instead of getting help before the issue gets bad -- with speech I'm sure you see this happen a lot!
    Good luck in the rest of your time at App State -- I'm a Furman Paladin, so I'm very familiar with your school from a sports standpoint!

    ReplyDelete